Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Vintage Chicks

The spring edition of Edible Memphis just arrived. There is an excellent article on victory gardens, a grassroots gardening movement during WWII.

Ironically, Shawn and I recently ordered two prints from the Victory Gardens of Tomorrow. We love the vintage style and themes. 

I contacted the author of the Edible Memphis article, Stephy Momper. She blogs about all things gardening and plants. We chatted about her blog, the artwork and chickens. 


She was kind enough to send me this letter that she found in the Shelby County Library archives while during her research.
 

What a cool piece of history! Thanks Stephy.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you found it funny as well! Archives are so fascinating, I spent so much time there because I just got engrossed. BTW, here's a link of interest: (I'm not a Martha fan, but I found this on one of my RSS feeds) http://www.themarthablog.com/2010/03/putting-a-chicken-to-sleep-my-own-home-video.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vintage letter- and the link (!)- that chicken was probably afraid of what Martha would do if it un-tucked its head again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link! Geez Martha, come on.

    I actually saw that segment and she tried that again on the show and it didnt work. Poor chickie :(

    I will say the show was informative and interesting. If you can find it online, most of it is worth watching. It focused on backyard chickens. Some people actually brought their chickens with them!

    ReplyDelete