Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lazy Weekend

 
Last weekend involved Mother's Day brunch, lots of cleaning, cooking and running around. It was, however, the best Mother's Day ever. My fantastic in-laws gave me a Canon Rebel XSi. The brunch menu highlighted goods from many of our local farmers and was de-lish! Shawn is a fantastic culinary artist.  Fantastic food and fantastic company.


This weekend, we took things easy. We saw Iron Man 2, went to a book sale, ate dinner with friends and experimented with our csa veggies.
I also spent a lot of time with my new camera in hand. The chicks like to pose for me, especially Saffron. 
Saffron
Mei
Satsuki
Blackberry

The girls roosted, preened, napped and ate. 

We have added crushed oyster shells to their coop. They will eat this as needed. The ground shells (or grit) help break down the food they eat. We have teeth, they have grit.
While the other girls did their thing, Mei decided to relax in a nice, cool dust bath. What a ham?!
We have a lot of folks asking, so when will the girls start laying eggs? Our best guess is July or August. We can't wait, but until then we are purchasing our eggs from Evergreen Dairy Farm at the downtown Memphis Farmers Market.

We'll keep you posted!


4 comments:

  1. Melissa, I'm glad you buy eggs locally -- I just can't understand how egg factories are allowed to treat their wonderful hens so inhumanely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I love our girls and cannot imagine the conditions most egg laying hens live in.

    yes! This camera is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pictures - seems like everyone is raising chickens for eggs (well maybe not everyone!). Here is my blog and a few chickens in Portland Oregon:

    http://hannak17.blogspot.com/2010/04/alley-off-mississippi_10.html

    ReplyDelete